Thursday, November 5, 2009

Knit witt!


So I have wanted to learn to knit for....forever. My Great Grandma "Grammie" taught me how to crochet like a million years ago and of course I don't remember how to do that anymore. So in an effort to be more "crafty" I decided to learn to knit. Actually I devised this plan after learning that Mitch's littest sister Megan can knit quite well...perfect teacher. And she taught me and I caught on pretty well...but I suck at it. I do it too tight and then I can't pull the loops off or too loose and it looks all crappy...how do you find the happy medium? Urghhh it's so annoying and frustrating! I keep pulling it apart and starting over and I even changed the yarn...thinking maybe this might help...nope...still a big knitting
lame-o.

In other news I decided a while ago after going through all of Olivia's super new baby stuff that I wanted to do something clever with her recieving blankets. You know the flannel ones that come in like a pack of 4-5 with different designs but coordinating colors? I seriously have sooooo many of these flannel blankets. I was using them for burp rags for a while...but she doesn't really spit up much anymore. So I thought I could make her a patchwork quilt using them. I told my mom (since she is going have to help me) and I think she thought I was just "talking" cause when I dragged them out last night she gave me that "seriously" look. Oh yeah I'm serious! This came after about an hour of frustrating knitting at 11:00 at night. I ironed them all out and cut them into uniformly sized squares and then layed them out to see how I wanted to patch them together. I went with 4 blankets in various designs in pink and purple (ginham, polka dots, flowers, stripes). I then cut them into sixteen 13' by 13' inch squares. Oh I am so excited! I am then going to put a dark purple border around it (either corduroy or velvet or something) back it with a solid colored flannel and oh it'll be sooooo cute. Oh and I want to also cut out letters to spell her name and stitch them on the quilt.

Sooooooo excited...hopefully once I start the actual sewing it will go better than the knitting...I mean I did take sewing in high school...I don't remember it being too hard...we'll see!

In Olivia news she has recently decided that she like the "Nuk" pacifiers. Since she was born the other "paci" she would take was the "Soothie". Which she would come and go with liking the use of a paci in general. Lately though...she always has one in her mouth. And I think there may be nothing cuter than seeing her put it in her mouth herself.


No comments:

Post a Comment