Tuesday, November 1, 2011

People are strange

So there is this thing in Citrus Heights they do like 4 times a year. It's basically throw all your crap you don't want/need/use/what have you out at the end of the driveway and the city will come and haul it away. I grew up in Roseville...we never had anything like this...still don't as far as I can tell. It seems pretty convenient...seems like the city may be in some ways encouraging it's citizens to not end up on an episode of Hoarders. Although here is the problem. I'm sure you are familiar with the old saying "One man's trash is another's man's treasure". Well I'm sure you can see where this is going. People start throwing their crap out there a few days before and then all of a sudden all these weirdos come out of the woodwork to look through all the crap for some sort of unknown and hidden treasures. Either that or they are are drug addicts looking for some sort of metals they can cash in somewhere for money. I mean who in their right mind does this? Obviously the drug addicts aren't in their right mind do we can just write that off as making some sort of sense. But what of these crews of families that drive around in what look like converted lawn mowing trucks snatching up all this junk. I mean you could be behind them and they will throw the car in reverse to back up to some sort of promising looking pile of junk. And they give you these looks that you are seriously inconveniencing them by being behind them in your car. Some people...I mean really!????

I remember when we first moved here they had one of these days and we threw an old washing machine and tool chest out there among other things and not even 20 minutes later the crap was gone...a full 12 hours before the garbage people came. I remember thinking how weird someone happened to drive by who wanted these things...I had no idea that people...like do this...all the time.

Moving on...this will probably make me sound horrible but there is this homeless guy that is always at the corner of the parking lot at Walmart with his sign about needing money and anything helps and God bless and what not. It is always the same guy and he looks about my age and he looks like he is probably some sort of tweaker and he is also a liar. I drove by him once...mind you he is always there...and I offered him a soda and you know what he said "well do you have any cash, I'd rather have the cash". No I don't. Why do you say anything helps is what I am thinking...and fine I'll keep my soda I wanted it anyway. The more I drive by him...the more he annoys me...the more I want to scream out of the window..."Get a job". I mean you are sitting out here at Walmart all day everyday...why don't you go apply for a job. I have worked at Walmart and believe me they will hire just about anybody. I mean you are just standing out there you could probably go push some carts. Does this make me sound really awful? I mean obviously I don't know the guy maybe he is really incapable of working...but honestly I am just really sick of looking at his face everytime I leave the Walmart parking lot.

I mean don't get me wrong I have given homeless people money before...I feel like I am charitable. I once gave this teenage girl outside of a different Walmart $20 because she was crying about how she got kicked out of her house and guys kept offering her money for sexual favors. Granted I had just had a baby and a daughter no less and the idea of her being someone's child and daughter just terrified out on the street was more for my post partum emotions to bear. What if that was Olivia one day? Mitch said that would never be Olivia and was pissed at me, convinced she was probably lying...maybe she was...but it felt like it was the right thing to do. And after I handed her the money she burst into tears and threw her arms around me basically melting into me. If she was lying she could have won the academy award. For some reason this Walmart guy just doesn't evoke alot of sympathy in me. Probably because he refused my gesture and because I am sick of seeing his face!!!!

So anyways that's all for people being strange today...hopefully this post doesn't make me seem like ungrateful selfish a-hole.

No comments:

Post a Comment