Thursday, September 29, 2011

The time when I thought my house was Haunted

So we have lived here almost a year. We got the keys the day before Halloween. I loved this house... I found it, I called about seeing it, I forced Mitchell to fill out the application for it and I was super excited when they called us back and asked when we could come sign the lease. Mitchell I think was more kinda like "ehhhh". I think he was happy to finally find a place but not thrilled about the fact that is was located in Citrus Heights, he really wanted to live in like old Folsom or downtown Sacramento. I wanted to live somewhat nearby my parents and his parents because his job at the time kept him traveling and out of town 5 days a week. In other words it was going to be me and Olivia alone most of the time. I wanted to have family nearby, you know in case anything happened or something.

We live in a really weird part of town. A part of town that unless you were familiar with it or had driven by you would not know existed. It is a really old neighborhood on a dead end street and resembles a cute old neighborhood however it is also kinda country/farm like. People have chickens and it looks like a neighborhood your Grandmother would live in. Citrus Heights if you are not from the area is not known for being the greatest place to live for the most part. I mean there are obviously exceptions but having grown up in Roseville...maybe I am kinda snobby in saying that citrus heights can be well...ghetto. I mean you should go to the Walmart near my house...it is like another country. You look around and you wonder where on earth these people come out of the woodwork to shop. Anyways the street and streets surrounding my street is really cute and filled with mostly old people.

I would say that for the most part I have really loved this house. I mean sometimes it smells weird/old/ musty when it rains and there was that incidence with termites that one time...not to mention the first three months living here was spent battling ants for the right to live in the house. The backyard is really big but the grass resembles weeds more than grass and there seems to be no shortage of spider friends. But other than that, this place is super cozy and cute. The front yard has nice grass and a porch and hedges and rosebushes and the house is green!!!!!! Like mint green and green is my favorite color. It was built in 1952 and still has all the original pink tile in the bathroom and green tile in the kitchen. The wood floors are original and were most likely covered in carpet for the majority of the time because the wood is in way too good of shape to be that old. The dining room and kitchen have that big square linoleum that is white and mint green in color. This house has no carpet, anywhere!!! And I would say for the most part that has been nice...not having to worry about getting carpet dirty...sweeping and mopping however are not all that exciting! I have a fireplace...which we have never used because paranoid Mitch thinks we'd set the house on fire, not to mention Olivia is a bit to curious a child to tempt her. AWWWWwwwww I really love my little old house it makes me sad that the lease will be up next month and I don't think Mitch really has much desire to stay here...we'll see. I told him I am not moving before the holidays...so if there is a move it won't be until after the new year.

Oh boy but the title!!!! The title of the post, what does that have to do with anything you are probably wondering. Well, not a whole lot actually. I guess I was just trying to give you a background on where we live so it doesn't sound like we live in some weird place when I explain why I thought the house was haunted. Okay so the first night we slept in the house I was super paranoid that Olivia was going to freak out in her new surroundings, not to mention she has shared a room with my her whole life up until that point. We were in bed and Mitch was more or less asleep and I said "Do you think I should check on the baby"...he mumbled something like "Huh, whatever, go to sleep" and I tried to just ignore the urge to go sleep in a sleeping bag on the floor of her room. Because I had really, with the exception of a few times, slept in the same room as her everyday since she was born. Then a few moments later I heard what sounded like whining or moaning and I thought she is up, she is crying, she is freaked out to be in a new place. I jumped out of bed and walked over to her door...it didn't sound like her but there was certainly some weird noise going on in there. I opened the door and she was asleep...soundly asleep in her new room...just fine. But that noise sounded like wailing or moaning and I tiptoed around the room trying to figure out where it was coming from...I was unsuccessful. I went back to bed and said hesitantly "Ummmmm Mitchell......okay this sounds really stupid but do you think that this house could be haunted". Mitchell who was probably more asleep than awake said "Emily stop being a freak and go to sleep". I was quiet for a bit but then said "Yeah but I really did hear weird noises in her room". Then my mind began to race with all the shows I had seen on TLC or AE about unsuspecting couples moving into some old house only to be terrorized by ghosts. I mean does anyone really believe this could happen...probably not. But when you hear unidentified moaning and wailing in your house, your baby's room no less....you tell me what you are gonna think. Then I didn't hear the noises again and we got a fan in Olivia's room so in my mind if there were any ghosts wailing or moaning at least they would be drown out with the fan on full blast.

Probably a few weeks later we were in the front yard getting in the car with Mitch's family to go to dinner or something and a siren from a fire engine or cop car was going off probably down on Antelope, a nearby busy street. Then it started. Have you seen 101 Dalmatians? You know when they send out there distress call to the other dogs to signal an emergency? And all the dogs are wailing and barking and howling? That's what happened. Somewhere, I'm not even sure to this day where, someone has like some sort of kennel or breeding grounds for some kind of dog. And a chorus of dogs were howling like it was their full time job and I instantly recognized it as the ghostly sounds in Olivia's room. It is weird....I mean really weird to hear this orchestra of dogs on a daily basis. They sound like they are dying or something. And they tend to really belt it out at night. I think what's even weirder is that this seems like a perfectly normal noise to hear now for us!

No comments:

Post a Comment