Friday, August 12, 2011

Whoa 2 posts in 2 days...who am I these days?

So about 6 months ago my Grandma Charlene moved out of her house in Carmichael California to a retirement community in Utah. She waited to do anything with the house or the things in it until all her kids could come out in the summer and decide what things they wanted to have and then filter down the rest to the grandkids. Since I am the only grandchild to live in the area I got to have my pick of what remained after all my Aunts and Uncles took what they wanted.

I got quite a lot considering most of everything worth having was already gone. I got this funky 70's bedroom set that I will probably paint at some point and use in Olivia's room once she is done with the crib. Which will probably be never since Olivia having free will when it comes to being in bed sounds like a disaster waiting to happen. I got a little curio cabinet, you know for all my old lady knickknacks...wait I don't have old lady knickknacks...hmmm still don't know what I'm going to do with it. I got a bunch of old Correlle dishes, teacups, and bowls. Grandma also had these really old vintage TV trays that I never remember seeing anyone use they just sat folded up behind the couch in the TV room...I took those, all four. I hung up 2 as pictures and kept the other 2 for trays. I found an old mother and child framed painting I had never seen hung anywhere in Grandma's house. It didn't even look like something a Mormon would have...it looks very Madonna and child-ish...very Catholic looking. Since I like Catholic art and since I guess we have a half Jack Mormon Half Catholic home I took it. I also took these little wooden landscape pictures I also have never seen before and hung them up in my living room. My dad came over and instantly recognized them as pictures that hung from his Grandmother's house. My great grandmother, who we called Grammie. Who lived until I was about 14, at the ripe old age of 98. I got a little candy dish that my mom says is "depression glass", it's kinda an amber color. I know my other grandma also has the same dish in the classic olive green color. I got an old Kitchenaid mixer in a lovely 70's yellow color. I picked up some old canister/cookie jars with some old mushroom design. An old crystal lamp that was also from my Grammie's house. I found some old snoopy twin sheets and pillowcase that looked as if they has never been used and I took those since ya know Mitch loves Snoopy. The old taxidermy stuffed great white snow owl. One of the things I wanted most of all was a few afghans my Grammie made. I didn't get the one I really wanted but I got 2 others that I love just the same.

Which brings me to where I took a really long time to where I wanted to get to...the subject of the post...

Grammie and her croqueting. I remember Grammie teaching me how to croquet...well kinda anyway, all I could do was one long chain. And seeing these afghans in my house everyday has made me really curious as to whether I could do one of my own. I mean how does one learn this without someone to teach you? And who could teach me? I kinda suck at knitting and it's not the same thing right? I don't know...I guess being a stay at home mom these days has inspired me to want to have some sort of crafty hobby. Maybe learn to sew better...knit and now I really really want to make an afghan.

So anyone out there want to teach me? And sorry for no pictures...too lazy to take any...maybe one day?

No comments:

Post a Comment