Tuesday, October 27, 2009

The Sounds of Silence

Good song and also an oxymoron. Silence has no sound right? Maybe it does? I mean according to Simon and Garfunkle it does. Anyways Olivia is asleep for her first morning nap and I don't know what exactly I did right but it's been almost 3 hours and she is still silent. She usually sleeps for about an hour and a half, at the most 2 hours. If I had known she would sleep so long I would have taken a nap as well! You see an hour and a half nap for me is a tease...I'd rather just stay awake even when I am exhaustedly tired. Anyways I find myself tipoeing around the house, doing everything I can to ensure she doesn't wake up...which is really stupid. Because now that I have moved home there is no way unless I was standing out her bedroom door that she can hear me in the family room...but I tiptoe all the same, open cabinets with slow silent movements..."can't wake the baby, gotta be quiet".

This is clearly a carryover effect of living at Mitchell's house. That house is pretty small and our bedroom was right off of the family/TV room and also right on the backyard where the dogs like to just park and bark incessently and idiotically at the dog in the next yard over. Then also they are as a whole pretty loud people....some more than others (Megan! Ashley! Mitchell!). Anyways I tried, believe me I tried, to do as much as I could to make it quiet...but for the most part it was usually pretty loud and for the most part she could deal with the noise about 50% of the time. 100% of the time until she got to be about 4/5 months. So the silence has been good for her to be able to actually nap...but at the same time now she's so used to the quiet that the smallest noise can wake her...double edged sword. A blessing and a curse! So as you can imagine when I visit Mitch's family...she has trouble napping or going to bed if we stay the night. Not to mention she is not used to sleeping in the same room as her Daddy anymore and so his snoring wakes her up!

Wait....wait....I hear scribble talk.

Isn't that cute? Scribble talk? That is what the Benvenistes call the baby babble and chatter. I guess it's a Grandma Diana word...not sure if it originated with someone before her.

Okay so she is awake. Slept for exatly 2 hours and 55 minutes! Hooray! I hear her scribble and open the door and she has figured out how to turn on her rainforrest soother thing. She is just sitting in her crib watching and smiling away at her little monkey and frog friends.


That isn't her in that pic obviously but that is the little musical thing. I didn't know how to describe it without a picture...so there you go! I had my eye on this thing before she was even born but it was like $45! So imagine my joy to find it a couple of weeks ago at Once Upon a Child for $10....SOLD! She really likes it and it's like a musical light show!

Anyways still trying to do the crying it out thing. But it's so hard to be consistant. And it will usually work for naptime...10-20 minutes and she'll fall asleep. But bedtime is another story...she will literally scream for hours! That girl! She really is gonna give me a run for my money! And as my mother constantly reminds me when she acts up...

"Oh Emily, you got a daughter just like yourself".

Which is all well and fine..ha ha the whole "mother's wish" thing. Anyways she's a cutie and worth the sporatic aggrevation.


I think I'll keep her!


1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful nap! I am so there with you on the nap tease. I don't like to nap with my kids because I'm just cranky when I get woken up. Give me a good 3 to 5 hour nap (aren't I lazy?) then I'm happy. Um, WHERE did you get that pumpkin hat? She is too cute.

    ReplyDelete