Saturday, January 30, 2010

Did you ever babysit when you were younger?

I did. I used to babysit three boys from church like 4 nights a week for about 4-5 hours. The people who I babysat for owned a gymnastics studio, is studio the right word? IDK and IDC...PS I just made up a new abbreviation there. We all know I Don't Know, this is I Don't Care. They had three boys Jordan, Jackson and Jacob. I babysat those kids so much that at 13 they put me on the payroll, my babysitting money came in actual paycheck form...at 13! Which at the time I thought was cool but now that I think about it...I was being taxed...not so cool. Anyways so if you did babysit you will remember the times when mom and dad would leave and no doubt at least one of the kids, if not all of the kids would cry and scream and beg for "mommy" to come back. And be it a daytime babysitting job that same kid would laugh and get excited and shout the praises of mommy when she returned. This kid when babysitting for me was Jackson. The middle child and definitely the most sensitive and tender hearted, I guess I can relate. Sometimes I see Jackson out and about and now he's like a teenager and I feel so weird knowing all the intimate details of his little boyhood antics. Oh well. He was my favorite of the three boys...he was just so dang cute!


Anyways lately, as in probably ever since I moved in with my parents I feel like I am the last person Olivia wants to see. I feel like the babysitter. I get to do all the crappy work; poopy diapers, cleaning food out of hair, force feeding when she won't eat, taking care of her when she is sick, trailing her all over the house to make sure she doesn't hurt herself on something...etc etc. And not only am I not getting paid for it....she could give a crap about me when someone else is home....namely my mother. Her Nana. She barely even says Mama but she can speak a clear "Nana" and even clearer "Dada", oh but that is another story. So it leaves me of course feeling like chopped liver. Today I even flirted with the idea of running away. Olivia won't know the difference she apparently already thinks Nana is the bees knees, what does she need me for? I stopped breast feeding at 8 1/2 months so really she doesn't need me for anything.


Little miss independent can just live it up with Nana. Apparently she's got something I don't have. I don't get it. I mean my mother loves it. Olivia lights up inside and literally beams with happiness and excitement when my mother walks through the door, who wouldn't love that reaction from a baby. I think I remember my nephew Robbie loving me like that when he was a baby, in a way I think Robbie still gets excited to see me and he's 10 now! Urghhhh. I remember on one of the rare occasions that Mitch took Olivia over to his house (without me) for the day, I figured when I went to come get her she would be all excited to see me and leap into my arms. Nope! I was even sick and missed her so much after like 4 hours that I went to pick her up early...she didn't care. I could have been a complete stranger for how nonchalant she reacted.


OMG!!!!!!! I am tired of all this thankless unpaid babysitting job! When is Olivia's real mother (nana) gonna be home?


And in case you were wondering I am currently on the waitlist for my pity party of one.

Feel sorry for me people....that's the name of the game!

1 comment:

  1. Oh Em, it was the same way for me when I lived with my parents. Jane only wanted my mom. She lived for my mom. Now she lives for Lane. I get a few moments every now and then, but she's all about her Daddy now. It'll come back around (I hope). They just want the people they know will have all the fun stuff, without any of the chore-like things. And, if it's any consolation, think of the great bond she's forming with your mom. It's been a year and every time Jane sees my mom she falls right back into worshiping my mom. No shyness or hesitation. Like you with Robbie, 10 years later.

    ReplyDelete