Saturday, January 23, 2010

A dumb post...

About 2 years ago I moved down to Santa Barbara and lived in an apartment that was actually an old home converted into 4 apartments. One in front, one on the side, one in the back and one upstairs. I moved in with Mitchell to the apartment in the back. There was an older bookstore owning lady up front, a middle aged man on the side and the upstairs apartment was vacant. The house was old and the conversion to apartments wasn't a crappy job. However the idea of hearing everything that went on in the apartment on the other side of the wall didn't seem like it was taken into account. You could hear everything! While I was familiar with the neighbor Ben who shared his walls with ours, I think I actually saw him face to face probably about 4-5 times in 10 months.


But I felt like I knew Ben....just like he probably knew an awful alot about Mitch and I....why? The thin walls. He was an older guy probably mid to late 40's. He watched alot of sports, liked to sing periodically and randomly, cooked mexican food almost every night, his girlfriend and her kids visited alot, he never answered his phone, snored very loudly and laughed alot. When I was home alone during times when Mitch was out late or even out of town, hearing Ben next door was comforting and made me feel safe. Anyway so when I moved in Mitch was concerned about anyone finding out that I was living there...the rent would have gone up for 2 people.


So after about a week or two Mitch announced to me that he didn't want me blowdrying my hair anymore. "it's too loud and it's obvious that there is a girl here if a hairdryer is being used everyday". I don't know why he would think Ben would care or tell the landlord and the landlord never came around anyway. But I remember thinking he was crazy! Who cares!!! And does he really think I am going to let my hair air dry everyday? He actually said he thought it used too much electricity and the landlord would notice the rise in the bill! I highly doubt a ten minute hairdryer session a day really affect the energy bill that much! Maybe it did, I don't know. But more than just that ummm hello I have naturally wavy/curly hair...air drying on a daily basis...might as well just take away any self-esteem I might have had left in the looks dept....frizzy hair everyday! I of course just did it when he wasn't around and after a while it was a non-issue.


Okay fast forward....when I was pregnant was the only time in a long time that I wasn't dyeing my hair on a bi-monthly basis, if not more. My hair grew and without the constant beating from hair dye my hair got pretty healthy. Since Olivia being born I have dyed it maybe 3 or 4 times, trying to avoid going back to my always dyeing my hair ways. And lack of time and laziness has brought me to a point where I find myself blow-drying my hair less and less. Also I have found that if I don't wrap my head up in a towel after showering and allow my hair to air dry from dripping wet...it doesn't get frizzy....it takes a while to dry, but very little frizz and still wavy. So not only do I want to grow my hair out long this year....I want to also try and not use the hair-dryer and use the hair straightener less and less. What do you think? Can I do it? Will it makes my hair even healthier to not use the hair dryer?


I just want to have long mermaid hair, not red though!!!!! Oh hair please grow faster....and I am sorry I cut off so much of you after Olivia was born! Just please get past this at the shoulder length cause it's driving me insane!



There is one problem though....I am kinda missing having blonde hair. The process back to blonde from dark is not an easy one and has always involved scissors at point or another....so I am trying to resist wanting to do it....

So yup, this was a dumb post....here's to hoping I can do it

1 comment:

  1. Hmmm...I'm going to have to try not wrapping my hair in a towel now and see what happens. I have the same problem with the frizzy hair, unless I put moose in it or something.
    You should grow it long. Jeremy always says to me when I want to chop it, "You will have to have short hair when you're old. Have it long while you still can!" Ain't that the truth!
    Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete