Monday, June 1, 2009

What a Cute Little Boy you Have

(Baby Liv with GG Diana)
I have heard this uttered a handful of times. That or "how old is he", "what's his name". Frankly it doesn't bother me. It does bother Mitchell and he usually takes it out on me.


"See stop dressing her like a boy" or "doing her hair like a boy".

When we discovered little baby was in fact a "miss" and not a "sir"... well some of us took the news not so well...

Hint...it wasn't me.


Anyways I must admit I was a bit taken back by the idea of having a little girl. You see I have 4 nephews and grew up babysitting 3 little boys at least once a week. Besides my sister who had not been a baby in 22 years...I didn't have much experience with little girls.

I did know one thing though...

She wasn't going to be super girly. This Mitch and I agreed upon.

I remember going to look at baby bedding with my mom when I was first pregnant...or actually when she first learned I was pregnant (tee he he I didn't tell anyone until I was almost 5 months). Anyways I remember feeling like it was so unfair that I was having a girl because I really liked all the boy crib sets so much better. All the crazy pinks and purples and flowers...Oh I feel nauseated even now thinking about how stressful it can be trying to find a somewhat neutrally girly crib set in the overtly pink, frilly and girly world of baby decor.

(Here she is with honorary Uncle Lance Larsen, no relation)
Anyways oddly enough ever since she was born I am all about the girly things. I still feel pretty bummed out that they don't make the pacifier she will actually take in any other color than green.

FYI they do have pink soothies but they are not for newborns...they are 3 months and up and they are much harder...Liv doesn't like them even though she is now practically three months old.

But I must say all the baby things I actually bought pre-birth were pretty gender neutral...which even so seem more boyish than girlish... I will admit this now.

So whenever I dress Livia in one of these unisex outfits I almost always encounter a "what a sweet baby boy" comment from some poor unsuspecting person.

It doesn't bother me...is that weird? Because it seems to really shake Mitch up. I don't even feel the need to correct them. I mean as long as they are saying my baby "boy" is cute what is the point in making them feel like a jackass...they mean well.

Olivia is a pretty baby...girl or boy.

I know the truth... I change her diapers. And as long as I know she's girl...that's all that matters.

Hopefully this mistaken gender thing doesn't continue past her first couple of months...because that would bother me.



She is my little lady!

1 comment:

  1. I was the same way with Eden! I couldn't get used to the idea of having a girl, and I didn't want her to be too girlie either. My how things have changed! Amelia's room is all pink and white and dainty. I went all out with the girliness. I'm not sure that it totally suits my personality, but it seems to fit her. She is very dainty.

    ReplyDelete