Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Insert "Jaws" theme here



So I have a really weird fear these days...maybe "fear" is not the right word. It just for some reason freaks me out. Okay you are probably wondering what "It" is....not the clown that goes around murdering and eating kids, although he really freaks me out as well.


But no what really freaks me out is late at night when I have sneaked into Olivia's room and turn on the littlest nightlight to read by sometimes she wakes up.

And it is the anticipation of seeing that little head pop up like a jack out of a box. I hear her stir and I dumbly sit very still as if she is a dinosaur and her vision is based on movement. "If I don't move she won't see me". But for some reason it just feels like a horror movie or something. I always have a quilt over the rail in front of her crib so I can't see anything until she stands up. Then suddenly there is the little periscope head surveying the room in the dim murky glow of the nightlight. Who is she looking for you ask, who is her next "victim", well that would be me!

Then imagine the music from the shower scene in "Psycho" and that's what's going on in my head. Aghhhhh she is awake! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Norman Bates might as well be here he is slightly more emotionally stable than Olivia when she is prematurely awoken in the middle of the night!


Okay, okay she usually smiles and laughs when she sees me and then is so sweet I play with her for a while before trying to get her back to sleep...but something about the anticipation of that head popping up and surprising me really freaks me out! Because sometimes she just rolls over and goes back to sleep. So I never know whether she is going to jump up out of bed or not.

So I'm a big weirdo! But she can be a little devil at times...see the picture as evidence



1 comment:

  1. I agree. Waking a child at night is my biggest fear too. Although, curtesy to the number of times we watched the movie and our experience with my next-door neighbor and the infamous bush, I also have a big fear of cross-dressing crazy men hurling around a corner with a large knife.

    ReplyDelete