Friday, November 13, 2009

It's all good in the mother 'hood!

So today as I came out of the bathroom after putting Livia down for her morning nap I noticed what looked like snot on the side of my cheek. What is that I thought? Then remembered the attack of baby kisses this morning after a breakfast of cereal and bananas. I smiled and then left the bathroom, baby slobber dried on my cheek staying put for the time being. I figured it would come off in the shower later...it did

It got me thinking of all the other badges of babyhood I tend to collect throughout the day. Always dried slobber somewhere on my clothes, spit-up, tears, snot, graham cracker residue, been peed on a number of times, hand smudges on my glasses...you get the idea. It's funny how after a while you just don't care. If I changed my clothes every time Olivia left her mark on me...oh man I would perpetually be doing laundry.


I find it funny and amusing when her daddy or aunties feel slightly grossed out when she leaves a snail trail of slobber behind with each kiss. Immediately wiping their face or mouth with a "Yuck". To me it's just baby slobber...my baby's slobber...this baby came from me so in a way it's my slobber.



It's almost as if she is marking her territory "this lady is not only a mama but she is my mama". I love this girl! She is crazy and exhausting but the most awesome, interesting, funny and sweet person I have ever known. I love when her drooly teething mouth give me a big sloppy kiss, I love the smell of graham crackers that radiate from her cheeks and hands even after they have been wiped clean. She is already growing up WAY too fast! I think the day her kisses aren't coupled with a mouth full of drool, the day she doesn't have remnants of graham crackers dried on her nails is the day I will feel very very sad...




Baby you can drool on my anytime!





2 comments:

  1. I'm glad I'm not the only Mom who doesn't care when she's covered in boogers and slobber, among other things. It's totally worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the drool! It means they really love you -- they're giving you real kisses.

    ReplyDelete