Monday, November 16, 2009

This morning I hear the...

Tiniest thud against the window, which window though I wonder after I hear the obvious noise.

Yes obvious because birds tend to run into our family room windows at least once a month. I get up check the glass door, nope. Side window nope. Must be either of the two side by side windows I look out through the window and still see nothing on the pavement. Then I look a little further down and just see kitty bum and tail, face in the bushes...


So the bird must be in the bushes. Now these bushes, ferns whatever they are called are thick and dense and there is no way I am sticking my hand down there to find whatever hit the window. This could be some unruly blue jay or something...it would be more likely to snap my hand off than feel happy I rescued him from the cat. So I wait for Shiloh to pull it out of the little mini forrest.

And he does and it takes up his whole mouth, which means it's either a baby bird or s hummingbird....ohhh it's a hummingbird.


Poor thing is panting and dazed and just chilling in my cat's mouth.

"Shiloh drop it, drop it, Shiloh!!!!"

He doesn't listen of course and proudly tramps over to the back door where he leaves all his treasures (usually dead mice) and finally drops the poor traumatized bird. He has a mouth full of feathers but it seems that the bird is unharmed, at least unharmed by him, and I promptly pick up my cat and take him inside and throw him in the garage.



Come back hoping the thing has awoken from is catatonic state (ha CAT-atonic) and flown off but it hasn't.

I gingerly pick the thing up off the cold pavement and put it on a little lawn chair thing...he's still there. I hope he is okay.

Fly away little birdy fly away!

No comments:

Post a Comment