Thursday, July 30, 2009

I am losing my mind

I am at my mother's house and Olivia needs a nap. So I fed her and she fell asleep and surprise, surprise the moment I lay her down she opens her eyes and starts to cry. It seems like you have to be a ninja with crazy cat like reflexes to shift the baby from your arms to her bed without her waking up.

You know those dolls that when you lay them back they close their eyes...Olivia is like the opposite while holding her she's got her eyes closed and then when you lay her back "ping" eyes wide open and then the crying starts. I don't understand....I really must be an idiot because the concept of being exhausted and not just closing your eyes and going to sleep just doesn't make sense to me.

So mother thinks I need to let her cry it out...learn that when she is laid down she needs to nap or go to bed...that no one is going to come so might as well take that nap. This seems like a simple enough concept....but it's so hard to do.


I CAN'T DO IT! I JUST CAN'T...SHE IS CRYING NOW, HAS BEEN FOR LIKE 15 MINUTES AND I FEEL LIKE I AM LOSING MY MIND.

I feel so mad! I mean part of me feels sorry for her but more than anything I feel irritated that she just can't get the simple concept of shutting her eyes and shutting her mouth and going to sleep.

Urghhh I just want to kill her or something! OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH AHHHHHHHHHHHH!

OLIVIA SHUT UP!!!!!!!!!

Everyone who has given me this advice about crying it out says it takes time but it will work...I don't have any faith that it will.

I mean honestly I feel like she could cry for weeks, months, years like this!

These people who give this advice don't know who they are dealing with....She is stubborn as a mule! She is a dictator! She just might be Hitler or Mussolini incarnate! She is sweet for sure but try to make her nap or go to bed and she becomes Rosemary's baby.

I don't know what to do! Everyone has an opinion and I don't know whose is the one I should take or whose is the one that will work. And of course anytime she is around anyone she doesn't see that often she acts like a perfect angel so I look like the mean mom complaining about it! Oh believe me she can be "NO ANGEL" when the mood strikes!

Mitch thinks it's cruel to let her cry but he is hardly around enough to be bothered much by her crying.

Mitch's Mom thinks feeding her into a food coma is the solution.

Mitch's sisters always offer to walk her around to put her to sleep and I usually feel desperate and annoyed enough to just say "whatever...do what you want".

My mother, my sister in law and my cousins say let her cry it out and be consistent and she'll learn to soothe herself.

Olivia seems to think she never needs to sleep. And she also thinks she's the boss...which well she is I guess.

Okay next if this crying it out thing is this the solution there seems to be so many issues with it.

Bedtime is usually not the problem, it's naps. So if I put her down and let her cry and she cries for an hour and then falls asleep for 15 minutes does that count as her nap? Do I get her up when she is still clearly exhausted and miserable because she did technically doze off in pure exhaustion for 15 minutes? Or do I continue to let her cry till she falls back asleep again?

Then if I am supposed to get her up after falling asleep for those 15 minutes how am I supposed to deal with her bad attitude because she clearly did not sleep long enough?

This just seems so problematic. I can't deal with it. Everyone says it takes a week and then she'll learn but seriously what a week! I might have to commit suicide during this week or infant-cide.

Urghhhhhh and not to mention she moves around and rolls over and then I worry she's gonna suffocate herself by rolling onto her stomach and being unable to breathe she'll die!

And I'll be asking for one major "I told you so" from Mitch if this crying it out thing does lead to her early demise!


And I HATE I TOLD YOU SO(S).



So in the meantime I am losing my mind !!!!




1 comment:

  1. Hope you figure out what works for you and Olivia. Only you can enforce what you want to do and only you can help her to sooth herself. Maybe research different methods and see which one you want to try, and then stick with it. It sucks, I remember crying on the couch while Robbie cried himself to sleep...but after the two weeks, it was HEAVEN. Anyhow, hope you can stick it out whatever you choose to do. In the end it will be worth it. Just because you are having them cry does not mean that you cannot talk to them. I would go in and talk to the boys and say, you are fine, pat them on the back and then tell them I love them. I never picked them up until they stopped crying or they woke up. I know it is hard and it feels mean, but if you don't take control then the baby does become a dictator!
    We love you and can't wait to see you both at Tahoe!

    ReplyDelete