Thursday, July 16, 2009

You are like Mary Poppins



Dear Miss Baby-

I love you. You are my favorite person. This morning I glance over at you as you sleep and feel so lucky to have you in my life. I obviously had a hand in you ending up here...living and existing and what not. But... I feel as though you just decided I needed a friend and showed up all on your own. I wish you could stay little forever. With growing up comes all the inevitable hang-ups, pain and issues of life. I mean clearly there is good and bad in everyone's life. But today I look over at you and you seem to be this blank little canvas, perfect as you are right now. Unblemished and unspoiled by the harsh realities and lessons of adulthood and life. Made happy by just my company and a returned smile. I just don't want you to ever have to feel any pain, heartache or disappointment.



I think about the 9 months you spent inside me. It's so strange to me now to think that I knew nothing about you then. How that whole time you were exactly who you are now and I just couldn't see you or hold you or talk to you yet. It makes me smile to think of you all curled up inside me every bit as tenacious, crazy and funny as you are now. I picture the way your little lip turns down and quivers when you are really mad or upset and how even while living inside me you probably had your little baby fits. Maybe when I ate something you didn't like or woke you up by scratching my belly or poked you back a little too hard to try and get your foot out of my rib. I imagine you have always been this stubborn and that seems so funny to me.



You have such a strong will. You are also physically really strong. The other day while Nana held you and tried to get you to sit down only to discover that those little iron legs of yours won't budge she made a comment that really stuck with me. She said " you are so strong little girl. Are you so strong and tough because your going have to be that way in this life". You see I have never really been very tough emotionally and mentally. I break down and fall apart pretty easily, something I am trying to really work on now that I have you to look after as well as myself. But I hope you are brave and tough and level-headed. If your physical strength is any indication of that, then you certainly will not have a hard time getting anything you want in life. You are my little lady and I love you so much.





Sometimes as little girls grow up the mother - daughter relationship can get a little strained...I promise to try my best to never let that happen with us. I promise to always listen to you and guide you without being overbearing or overprotective. I promise to try to always understand you and when I don't I promise to try even harder to understand. I hope I can always express to you how I would like you to do things in a way that you will do them because you want to not because you feel like you have to. I promise to be understanding that sometimes you will just do the things you want regardless of how I feel. I promise not to take it personally. I would hope that you would never make any mistakes but I know you will. I promise to always try and help you through those mistakes instead of making you feel guilty or bad about them. I want you to feel like you can tell me anything and I hope you do.



I don't ever want our relationship to change. I love you my daughter, my friend, my soul mate. I promise to be the best mother I can be...I promise to love you more than my life.



Love,
Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment